Friday, March 12, 2010

Welcome to Paradoxination!

Welcome everyone, someone, to Paradoxination. There are going to be several rather disparate issues with which I deal. A primary concern will be with the current political and cultural situation here in the US. In addition, I will give special  attention to other areas of the world, which are particularly intertwined  with this country and  it's well-being: Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Israel, China, and  now  Europe as countries like Greece, Spain, Portugal, and  Ireland face catastrophic economic consequences as the result of financial irresponsibility, which has lead to a radical devaluation of  the Euro in those countries.

On the cultural front, I will address trends like the increasing politicization of churches, which is  leading for  many to call for certain churches to have their tax-exempt status revoked. Similarly, there is a move in California  to ban divorce--yes, you read that right--so as to protect marriage. I will have a great  deal  to say about this topic, along with the general de-secularization of American politics. The Supreme Court is  always a hot  topic, as is the notion of conservative activist judges,who nonetheless claim to cling to the notion of "Original Intent." Of course, as anyone with a rudimentary Lit Crit class under their  belts knows, the notion  that one may get  into  the head of an  author, founding  father or not, is no less absurd than attempting to crack one's  skull so as to locate the mind. Finally,  I am very concerned with two opposite, but equally bothersome, trends  in American culture. The first is the pervasive sense of apathy amongst significant numbers of pseudo-citizens. In 2004,  long after it had been indisputably documented that we were  snowed into invading Iraq, just over 50%  of registered voters bothered to  vote in the Presidential Election. Secondly, and perhaps  more disturbing, is the tendency of those who do "engage" in politics to fail to have a single thought of  their own. There is  little  that will get me more riled  up than  some fool spouting off about issues of  which his only source of information is  some idiot  talking  head, "fair  and balanced" of course. While I try my best to engage  in reasonable  political  discourse, I will not hesitate to devour such 'idiot heads" as I  just mentioned. Of course, most of them don't realize that they are leaking respect  like a sieve, which  is  the real  shame of  it.  Down, boy.


There is  much more that I would  like to say, but I  must restrain myself. Alas, I must do  something other than stare at this  computer screen,  potentially writing for no one but myself and those who would feel  to guilty not to visit at least once. Thus it  is that I go in search of a giant herring. Wish me luck; herring is not exactly plentiful in the Deep South.

2 comments: